Reports to: Malawi Technology Lead
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date: November/December 2022
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
We are currently a technology partner for Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation Malawi under a USAID funded Client-Oriented Response for HIV Epidemic Control (CORE) program. Our role is to develop, implement and support digital innovations to support Baylor’s internal operations for the program, with an overall objective of improving patient outcomes.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Software Engineer to work closely with the Engineering and Program team to design, develop, test and maintain mobile applications (Android) and back ends D-tree is using to build digital systems. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with strong organization and communication skills as well as a solid background in professional Software Engineering.
You are someone who is always curious and an independent worker. You are just as comfortable learning new software platforms as you are working in a multidisciplinary team or meeting health workers in a village to understand the user experience. You have a passion for using technology to improve health systems. You are someone who can also clearly communicate about complex technical topics to non-technical audiences. You have worked as a software developer in multi-disciplinary teams, developing, deploying and maintaining android mobile applications.
What you will do
Your main role will be to work with the D-tree technical team globally and in Malawi to design, build, deploy and maintain web and mobile applications and dashboards, with a focus on Android platforms for HIS, such as OpenSRP, FHIR. We support NGOs and governments to improve health systems with the technology that best fits the context, like DHIS2 or CHT. Working with our Engineering team, you will understand and define what it takes to build the digital health systems to improve people’s well-being and reach our program goals. You will work with platform providers, external software developers and our team to build, configure or extend digital health tools. Once applications are deployed, you will manage troubleshooting and user support and participate in continuous evaluation and improvement.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Development of health application components for Android mobile phones using Kotlin
- Quality assurance of the mobile applications and server processes
- Setup and maintenance of servers and databases for back-end and data
- Operational maintenance and updates of the health systems environments
- Maintain communication with program team to execute the technical/operational needs of the programs
- Write documentation about our systems and support training delivery
The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- Master or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field like IT, computer science and information systems, complemented with your experience working in digital environments on the activities described
- Experience with JSON, XML document processing applications
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Committed and excited to contribute in different types of tasks, from software development to producing documentation, testing, training and working with end users
- Experience working in Android application development using Kotlin and Jetpack Compose
- Development of queries using SQL to extract data for optimization and visualizations
- Experience with digital health tools and processes, specially FHIR standard and DHIS2
19,444,000 MWK to 26,288,000 MWK gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation.
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please fill in the google form here. Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter will be considered.
Please note: this position is open to Malawi nationals only.