Senior Technical Advisor
Reports to: Director of Program Excellence
Location: Remote* (must have legal authorization to work in the location)
Travel: Up to 20%
Who we are
D-tree has been pioneering digital health since 2004 and leverages digital technology to create solutions that transform health systems for the better, making people’s care more personalized, more accessible, and more coordinated. We work with governments from ideation to implementation, combining a deep understanding of local contexts with global expertise to build human-centered, government-aligned digital health programs that are designed to scale and integrate into health systems — ultimately leading to sustainable, long term improvements in health outcomes for all. We partner with technology organizations, academia, medical hospitals, and like-minded organizations internationally and locally, private and public.
D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Foundation Botnar, Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, Patrick J McGovern Foundation, Crown Family Philanthropies, and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported over 10,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Evaluations have demonstrated improved health impact through D-tree’s digital programs, including 27% reduction in maternal mortality, 50% increase in facility delivery rates, four-fold increase in postpartum follow-up, 70% increase in contraceptive prevalence rates and 15-fold improvements in health worker performance. In Zanzibar, D-tree is supporting the government to institutionalize digital health initiatives at national scale, transforming service delivery and improving care for millions of people. D-tree currently has offices in Zanzibar, Mainland Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia. In each location, we work with partners and the government to build and demonstrate the potential of digital health systems for frontline health workers and then support the government to scale these systems.
We are seeking a collaborative and impact-driven Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical oversight and support to select D-tree programs within our growing country portfolios to execute high-quality programs that transform primary health service delivery and to help grow our work.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time, motivated professional who excels at strategically overseeing and implementing health systems strengthening projects and collaborating with mid- and senior-level staff—providing guidance and support while building skillsets—in order to drive long-term programmatic success. You are someone who has experience leading or providing technical support to complex health programs, building skills of country team members, and collaborating with organizational leadership to cultivate new opportunities to expand our impact. You are someone who is just as comfortable serving as a strategic thought partner to Country Directors as you are in creating high quality workplans and collaborating with finance teams to reallocate funds across project budgets as plan evolve. You have the ability to see the big picture, but also have excellent attention to detail and are very proactive. You are passionate about embedding innovative health programs within government health systems and have successfully fostered strategies for achieving government ownership and supported country teams in executing these plans. You are committed to strengthening the skills of country team members and have demonstrated your ability to develop talent, hand over responsibilities to support staff growth, and create a positive, supportive environment in which staff feel engaged, empowered and valued while championing program initiatives forward with excellence. You are excited to be a key contributor to D-tree’s organizational impact and growth.
What you will do
The Senior Technical Advisor is a key member of the Global Support Team who will work closely with country and global leadership to ensure that D-tree implements high quality programs that are aligned with and promote D-tree’s strategic approach and objectives; exceed donor and partner expectations; and ultimately, improve access to high quality healthcare by strengthening health systems through digital technology. The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical oversight to select programs or projects within D-tree country portfolios—initially primarily in Zanzibar and Zambia—to ensure that programs are on-track to achieve key milestones, while advancing D-tree’s strategic objectives and potential for enhanced health impact. The Senior Technical Advisor will also provide direct support to select country teams to strategically plan and execute project activities and complete high quality deliverables, while building the skills of country team members to more independently lead similar efforts in the future. Finally, the Senior Technical Advisor will contribute to D-tree’s organizational growth through supporting business develop efforts and advancing Country Strategies.
Technical Oversight of Select Country Programs or Projects (30%)
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical oversight for select country programs and/or projects within D-tree’s global portfolio. Responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Director of Strategy, Director of Partnerships, and Director of Programs, understand partner (governments, donors, and collaborating organizations) interests and priorities and guide project teams to consistently meet the needs of current partners, while making optimal use of D-tree’s expertise and aligning with D-tree’s organizational and country objectives.
- Maintain a strong understanding of all aspects of assigned programs or projects–including expected deliverables, outcomes, and timeline; budget; compliance requirements; staffing; partnerships, and donor expectations–and collaborate with country leadership to monitor these components and make adjustments as needed in consultation with the Director of Programs and Director of Strategy.
- In collaboration with country leadership, keep track of project progress, identify opportunities and challenges, and regularly update the Director of Strategy and Director of Programs, including elevating important or urgent items needing greater organizational attention or review.
- Serve as a programmatic thought-partner to Country Directors, Deputy Directors, and mid- and senior-level staff to promote their success in leading strong country teams that deliver high-quality programs, which align with D-tree’s values, approach, and objectives.
- Guide teams in strategically designing and implementing approaches that embed innovative health programs within government health systems to foster long-term government ownership.
Technical Assistance to Country Programs (40%)
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical assistance to select country programs and/or projects within D-tree’s global portfolio, while also building the skills of D-tree team members. Responsibilities include:
- Support project teams to strategically plan and execute activities through sound project management practices and tools to ensure project delivery is within scope, timeline and budget.
- Provide guidance or technical support to project or country teams when challenges arise and support teams in problem solving to continually improve the quality of programs.
- Guide and directly contribute to projects’ monitoring, evaluation, and research efforts, while building the skills of country-based monitoring and evaluation team members.
- Guide, review and/or provide input into key project activities or deliverables, reports, or dissemination materials.
- Strengthen the skills of country team members and hand over responsibilities to growing staff while championing program initiatives forward with excellence
- Take the lead on high priority project tasks when different skills or supplemental bandwidth is needed from country teams.
- Support teams to define, employ, and iterate on processes and approaches in areas such as government and stakeholder engagement; continuous quality improvement; program management; health worker training and supervision; and program monitoring and evaluation to promote delivering high quality programs, achieve intended results, and position D-tree for strategic growth.
Organizational Growth (30%)
The Senior Technical Advisor will apply their understanding of D-tree’s country programs and projects, opportunities, and the larger field of global digital health to contribute toward D-tree’s organizational growth. Responsibilities include:
- Contribute toward global business development efforts, including supporting conceptualizing and writing proposals; budgeting and gathering inputs from country team-members for new opportunities; preparing talking points or materials for potential partners; and engaging in partner discussions to secure new or follow-on funding.
- Apply knowledge of projects and country context to review and advise on program design during proposal stage and draft proposed program plans, scopes of work, timelines, resources required, and deliverables.
- Maintain a strong understanding of D-tree’s Organizational Strategic Plan and D-tree Country Strategies to guide our country teams towards achieving organizational and country objectives through our daily work, and ensure Country Strategies remain updated as context, needs and priorities evolve.
- Contribute to external communications, including representing D-tree at conferences or meetings, and developing blog posts or reports to contribute to the broader field of digital health.
- Support additional organizational initiatives as needed.
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience with at least 2 years spent living and working in a low- or middle-income country (sub-Saharan Africa preferred).
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. public health, global development) or equivalent work experience
- Required prior work experience includes:
- Leading or providing technical oversight and support to complex health systems strengthening programs
- Managing projects across the program life-cycle including work planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, continuous quality improvement, and reporting.
- Providing technical assistance to senior and mid-level staff in a way that fosters trust, collaboration, and skill building; having done so in a remote working environment strongly preferred.
- Contributing to business development efforts and proposals to diverse funders (such as private foundations, US government, and bilateral or multilateral agencies)
- Desired prior work experience includes:
- Strategically designing and implementing programs to embed innovative health programs within government health systems; having guided teams to implement these strategies in a remote working environment preferred.
- Serving as a key link between an organization’s global and country teams
- Collaborating with senior members of an organization’s global team to identify and pursue strategic opportunities for country program growth
- Collaborating with and mentoring a dispersed multi-cultural team and demonstrated success in cultivating a positive environment for all team members
- Developing and overseeing monitoring and evaluation plans, indicators and data monitoring tools
- Experience in digital health would be advantageous
- Clinical experience (e.g. nursing, midwifery, etc), particularly having applied it to designing and implementing global health programs
- Superior analytical skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems and solution oriented
- Must be able to handle complex priorities, collaborate effectively with a distributed and cross-cultural team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent project management skills across the program-life cycle, including work planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, continuous quality improvement, and reporting.
- Excellent written and spoken English required.
Annual salary range: $80,000-$110,000 annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation
Salary scales are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting ranges for each role. To ensure internal parity, D-tree will analyze the candidate’s overall number of years of experience as well as relevant technical expertise pertaining to the position and in comparison with staff in the same job group to make the offer salary. Because salary ranges are small and the internal parity review is thorough, offers are firm.
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
To apply for this position, please fill in the form here: Senior Technical Advisor Application
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
D-tree is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and strongly encourages candidates from sub-Saharan Africa to apply.
*Work location is remote and somewhat flexible, but preference for a location in or near D-tree countries of operation (Zanzibar, Tanzania, Malawi, or Zambia). D-tree is unable to sponsor work or residence permits and the position does not support a relocation package so applicants must be legally authorized to work in their location. If an applicant is based in a country D-tree is not registered, the employment offer will be from our employer of record (EOR).
We will also consider candidates based in the following states: Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts and New Hampshire but there will be an expectation of more significant travel and adjusted working hours that facilitate business overlap with colleagues in sub-Saharan Africa.