Senior Program Manager
Reports to: Zanzibar Country Director (Primary Supervisor)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Who we are
D-tree is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
Since 2011, D-tree has partnered with the Zanzibar Ministry of Health to implement an innovative digital health program, Jamii ni Afya (“Community is health”) supporting Community Health Volunteers to provide health services within their communities. This program has consistently demonstrated improved health outcomes, a strengthened community health system, and increased use of data for decision-making. Over time, Jamii ni Afya has grown from a pilot to a national program and has demonstrated how digital technology can transform the quality of a health system. The Zanzibar government has committed to adopt Jamii ni Afya at national scale; integrating digitally-enabled Community Health Volunteers into their formal Community Health Strategy. This represents the world’s first nationally scaled digital community health program, bringing high quality health services to the doorsteps of all of Zanzibar. The digital health program reached full scale in August 2021, allowing D-tree to focus on program sustainability, quality and impact.
Who you are
We are recruiting for a highly skilled and experienced Senior Program Manager to work as an integral part of our Zanzibar team. You are responsible for program and grants management and will play an active role in program quality improvement and government engagement. You have excellent attention to detail and the ability to be accountable for driving compliance, budgets, work plans and reporting for multiple donor projects, and ensure the team is meeting project timelines and deliverables within budget. You have prior experience in a similar project management role and can demonstrate your ability to manage highly complex projects, while working effectively within a team. You have experience engaging with governments and are comfortable representing organizational aims to high-level government stakeholders. You are a strong communicator – both orally and written – and have excellent teamwork, collaboration and problem-solving skills. You are excited by D-tree’s mission and our pioneering work in Zanzibar, and are driven by the impact that our work has on improving people’s lives.
What you will do
The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring that all programs in Zanzibar are planned and implemented at a high quality, within scope, schedule and budget. You will work closely with the Country Director to develop project objectives and work plans, and then you will be responsible for ensuring projects are implemented according to those plans. You will be responsible for overseeing the project budget and coordinating financial management activities (including forecasting and re-budgeting based on changing project needs). Together with the Zanzibar leadership team, you will liaise with Ministry of Health stakeholders and other partners to keep them abreast of project progress, and draft donor progress reports. Specific responsibilities include:
Project design, management & implementation (40%)
- Collaborate with supervisor to set program objectives and then lead the planning, operationalization, execution and monitoring of the work plans, while ensuring staff, partners, technical working groups (TWGs) and relevant MOH units are included in the process and kept on track to achieve result
- Lead program team to operationalize the design and development of quality improvement measures
- Document clear expectations and responsibilities for team members and partners, and develop accountability systems to ensure program objectives are met according to the project schedule
- Anticipate potential challenges with meeting program timelines, milestones, or budget and escalate to Country Director and Global Support Team early for joint problem solving
- Develop high-quality and inspiring donor and progress reports with support of Program and M&E team
- Lead regular program meetings with relevant D-tree staff to review project progress, identify challenges, and solve problems to ensure project progress remains on track
- Contribute towards business development ideation to design new projects or iterate and expand existing programs
Portfolio management and growth (20%)
- Closely monitor project budgets to ensure spending is on track with project plans; course correct as necessary
- Lead the review of monthly project activity plans and develop accurate related budget forecasts
- In collaboration with the Country Director and Global Support Team, lead long-term forecasting and re-budgeting activities throughout the project lifespan
- Collaborate with the finance & operations team to ensure strong standard operating procedures for procurement and advances exist and are followed
- Represent D-tree in relevant Technical Working Groups and/or Advisory Groups within digital health, community health, and early childhood development.
- Articulate the value and impact of D-tree’s approach and programs to various units within the government ministries and external stakeholders
- Present project highlights and results at meetings and National, Regional and International forums/conferences
Staff Management (20%)
Directly supervise 3-4 people including
- Support staff to set Zanzibar team and individual objectives that help achieve program success
- Mentor staff and ensure they are motivated and empowered to complete job duties to the best of their ability
- Provide ongoing feedback about staff performance, including through quarterly reviews to document strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth
- Approve timesheets, travel authorization and advances and expenses for direct reports, as well as for additional staff as needed.
- 10 years’ work experience with at least 4-5 years in a project management position, with a digital, public health and/or health system strengthening focus preferred
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects/grants simultaneously with the ability to effectively manage project with budgets of up to 1 million dollars USD
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. management, public health, global development); master’s degree preferred
- Good MS Excel skills
- Must be able to work independently and make decisions under minimal supervision
- Excellent written and spoken English and Swahili required
- Prior experience working in Zanzibar desired
The salary range for this role is 87,750,000 TZS to 135,000,000 TZS annually inclusive of all cash compensation. Salary scales are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting ranges for each role. To ensure internal parity, D-tree will analyze the candidate’s overall number of years of experience as well as relevant technical expertise pertaining to the position and in comparison with staff in the same job group to make the offer salary. Because salary ranges are small and the internal parity review is thorough, offers are firm.
To apply for this role please click the link and follow the instructions. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment. This position is available pending confirmed funding.