Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
D-tree is among the most experienced digital health partners in Tanzania, having worked with the government and multiple NGO partners since 2008 on a wide range of digital health programs focused on improving the quality of healthcare delivery. We are currently collaborating with the Tanzanian government on a digitally-enabled primary health care program in Kibaha, which has gained significant interest and is poised to strengthen a number of government digital health systems in Tanzania. We are also engaged in an early-child development research collaboration in which we are designing digital tools to facilitate an integrated community-based ECD parenting program and as the digital health partner in a large-scale community health TB/HIV program. As our portfolio in the digital community health space continues to grow, we have an opportunity to expand our engagement with the national government to serve as a key digital health partner for strengthening primary health care services. This is an exciting opportunity to help deepen and expand our work and impact.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Program Manager, based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, to manage several projects within the D-tree portfolio. The Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring that digital health projects are delivered within scope, on schedule, and within budget. You will develop and manage work plans, ensure spending is aligned with the project budget, support financial management, liaise with project partners and other stakeholders, and draft donor progress reports. You will supervise project staff (at least 2) and support them to grow in their roles. Given the technical nature of our work, you will take a leading role in the design process of digital systems, working closely with project partners to understand and document needs, work closely with D-tree’s technology team to propose solutions, and contribute to software requirements specifications. When projects are implemented, you will work closely with partners to develop training and implementation plans, program monitoring tools, and troubleshooting plans to ensure smooth implementation. You will oversee a team of project coordinators and/or field implementers who will lead trainings and build capacity of NGO partners and local government to oversee the digital health program. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring individuals with experience managing projects and staff, who are comfortable with technology and can effectively communicate technical topics to a non-technical audience.
What you will do
Project Management and Implementation (80% LOE)
- Develop work plans, project strategy documents and standard operating procedures for project activities in line with D-tree best practices
- Collaborate with Deputy Director to set program objectives and then lead the pursuit and monitoring of program objectives, while ensuring staff and partners are kept on track to achieve results
- Work closely with partners to document clear expectations and responsibilities, and develop accountability systems to ensure program objectives are met according to the project schedule
- Oversee Design, Development and Implementation activities including:
- Lead program team through program design, development, testing and implementation activities. This includes the design and development of digital platforms; system testing; training preparation and execution; supervision processes; user payment or motivation schemes; monitoring and trouble-shooting post implementation etc.
- Assign staff and resources to lead or support each activity in a way that efficiently achieves our objectives
- In collaboration with D-tree’s Tanzania-based and D-tree’s Global Support teams, learn and implement D-tree best practices in project management and digital design and development.
- Collaborate with Tanzania-based and D-tree’s Global Support Team to implement continuous quality improvement and research initiatives; work with the project teams to identify areas for improvement around operational and technical system functioning, then propose, develop, and implement solutions to solve challenges
- Work with data lead and project team to ensure monitoring and evaluation plan is created and implemented – aligned with program objectives – dashboards are created, and data is collected and reviewed on a regular basis
- Build capacity of partners and government officials to oversee project implementation (including capacity to develop and lead trainings and troubleshoot) and utilize program data
- Project finance and operations management
- Work with Deputy Director and finance staff to manage project budgets
- Lead the development of monthly project activity plans and related budget forecasts
- Collaborate with the finance & operations team around project procurements
- Develop high-quality and inspiring donor and progress reports in collaboration with the Deputy Director
Staff management (20% LOE)
- Supervise staff working on the project you oversee
- Allocate team member efforts appropriately, given the skills and priorities, to meet program objectives and partner needs efficiently
- Mentor staff and ensure they are motivated and empowered to complete job duties to the best of their
- Provide ongoing feedback about staff performance, including through quarterly reviews to document
strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth
- Approve staff timesheets, advance requests, and expense forms
What we are looking for
We are looking for motivated, passionate individuals who are willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our projects succeed. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skill set and attitude.
- Minimum 5 years work experience with at least 3 years in a project management position, with a digital, primary health and/or health system strengthening focus preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. public health, global development), master’s degree preferred
- Strong project management skills required
- Must be able to work independently and make decisions under minimal supervision
- Experience managing and motivating a team preferred, with demonstrated success in cultivating a positive, empowering environment for team members
- Superior analytical skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems and solution oriented
- Must be able to handle complex priorities, collaborate effectively with a team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English and Swahili required
- Tanzanian national required
58,000,000 to 90,000,000 TZS gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only.
To apply for this position, please fill in the form here: https://forms.gle/Ywwqi83R3movA65RA
You will need to include:
1. Cover letter that clearly and concisely explains how you meet the required skills and experience specified above
2. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, showing your work history and achievements.
Deadline for applications: Open until filled