Reports to: Senior Government Advisor
Location: Zanzibar, Tanzania
Start Date: 1st March 2023
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
Since 2011, D-tree has partnered with the Zanzibar Ministry of Health to implement an innovative digital health program, Jamii ni Afya (“Community is health”) supporting Community Health Volunteers to provide health services within their communities. This program has consistently demonstrated improved health outcomes, a strengthened community health system, and increased use of data for decision-making. Over time, Jamii ni Afya has grown from a pilot to a national program and has demonstrated how digital technology can transform the quality of a health system. The Zanzibar government has committed to adopt Jamii ni Afya at national scale; integrating digitally-enabled Community Health Volunteers into their formal Community Health Strategy. This represents the world’s first nationally scaled digital community health program, bringing high quality health services to the doorsteps of all of Zanzibar. The digital health program reached full scale in August 2021, allowing D-tree to focus on program sustainability, quality and impact.
Who you are
We are seeking a Health Management Information Systems (HMIS) Advisor based in Zanzibar, Tanzania, to support the Zanzibar Ministry of Health (MOH) to ensure that data collected within Zanzibar’s health system is used effectively to improve the quality of healthcare for the entire Zanzibari population. The ideal candidate will have expertise in HMIS strengthening in low-resource settings, be a champion for the use of data to inform decision-making, understand the complexities of data governance within a health system, and enjoy building relationships and working with a large group of multidisciplinary stakeholders.
What you will do
The HMIS Advisor will advise and support the HMIS unit of the Zanzibar MOH on topics related to data use and data governance, as part of D-tree’s commitment to supporting MOH to improve data use within Zanzibar’s health system. The HMIS Advisor will be based jointly within the MOH HMIS unit and within D-tree’s office. The HMIS Advisor will work closely with members of the MOH HMIS unit, as well as interacting with staff from other MOH units as required, particularly the M&E and ICT units. The HMIS Advisor will report to D-tree’s Senior Government Advisor and work closely with D-tree’s Senior Data Lead, as well as D-tree’s M&E team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Fostering a culture of data use within MOH, specifically within the Planning Department. This includes working with the Director of Planning and the Head of HMIS to develop strategies to increase data use within the department, supporting staff to incorporate data use into routine processes, and providing mentoring and support to staff on issues related to data
- Developing strategies and coordinating efforts, together with D-tree’s M&E team, to develop a culture of data use amongst District Health Management Teams (DHMTs)
- Fostering a culture of assessing and reviewing data integrity amongst members of the HMIS and M&E Units of the MOH, to improve data collection and data quality
- Coordinating efforts to improve data protection and sharing across the health system, via the implementation of the MOH Data Protection and Sharing Framework
- Supporting the transition of ownership, from D-tree to MOH, of data from Zanzibar’s national digital community health program
- Guide the development and distribution of community health data to different audiences within the MOH and other ministries
- Ensuring that D-tree’s capacity building efforts align with MOH’s needs, and that D-tree’s work is represented within MOH and in appropriate forums
The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- A Master’s degree in Public Health, Demography, Health Informatics, or a similar subject
- At least 3 years technical experience interpreting and using health data in HMIS, M&E, or related teams, within a government or international NGO environment
- At least 2 years’ experience managing teams working on data management and data use
- At least 3 years’ experience working with DHIS2
- Excellent mentoring, training, workshop and meeting facilitation skills
- Excellent computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets, and at least one analysis software
- Knowledge about data protection and data sharing, and an appreciation of its importance
- Ability to cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with government staff at all levels, including senior leadership
- Fluency in English and Swahili
- Ability to work independently, use initiative, and deliver on time without close supervision
- Previous experience working in a Ministry of Health
- Previous experience working or living in Tanzania
- Knowledge of Zanzibar’s health system
87,750,000 TZS to 135,000,000 TZS gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation.
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please fill in the Google form here. Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter will be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.