Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Remote in the US (must be located in one of the following states: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Washington D.C., Maryland or Virginia)
Start Date: January or February 2024 (or as soon as available)
Who we are
D-tree is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
D-tree has grown considerably in the past 3 years with funding from bilateral donors such as USAID, multilateral organizations such as UNICEF, and private foundations such as Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Fondation Botnar, and Conrad N. Hilton Foundation. We have an excellent track record and strong reputation as one of the original pioneers in digital health, with programs in Zanzibar, Tanzania, Malawi, and Zambia. Our work involves extensive collaboration with governments, donors, local and international health implementers to improve the lives of the people we serve. Evaluations of D-tree’s programs have demonstrated significant health system impacts from D-tree’s digital programs–including reductions in maternal mortality, increase in facility delivery rates and follow up, and improved health worker performance.
Our values are the driving motivators for how the D-tree team works day in, day out, shared by all team members. They include:
- We think big because we have faith in our ability to succeed.
- We are excellent stewards of time, resources, and money.
- We value balance between work and life.
- We keep the people we work for and with at the center of everything we do.
- We respectfully challenge the status quo as we are always in search of a better way.
- We continuously learn and adapt to become the best version of ourselves.
- We believe that our strength lies in our diversity and how we perform as a team.
- We go above and beyond because people’s health and lives are at stake.
About the Role
We are seeking a Global Head of Finance and Administration (GHFA) to join D-tree as the global head of accounting, finance and administrative functions to contribute to the financial stability of the organization and further strengthen D-tree’s accounting and finance systems. Reporting to the CEO, the GHFA will lead the global finance department and manage USA and globally based accounting, finance and grants, contract and compliance staff. His/her department will also oversee function staff in the country teams (currently Tanzania, Zanzibar, Malawi and Zambia) as well as directly manage staff on the global support team. Serving on the Leadership Team, the GHFA will work with senior leaders in a multi-site, multi-country organization.
What you will do
The GHFA is accountable for strategic business planning and safeguarding the financial health of the organization to ensure alignment of administration functions with the mission and goals of D-tree. Responsible for managing all administrative functions, including accounting, finance, legal and grants and contracts and liaising with the Board of Directors and the finance and audit committee. Holds oversight responsibility for seamlessly integrating the financial management and reporting of global offices into one system while also meeting individual country level compliance requirements.
Specific responsibilities include:
Financial & Accounting Management / Administration (70%)
- Serve as a strategic financial advisor to the CEO, Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors to set and achieve strategic goals and objectives of the organization
- Oversee and directly manage the accounting and financial functions, including financial management of the organization’s global operations through the refinement and implementation of supporting infrastructure to streamline efficiencies (financial systems, finance and grants management staff, controls, and procedures)
- Lead research and identification of accounting software upgrade and financial migration including roll out and training plans for four country offices in East Africa (within the next two years)
- Lead the coordination of annual fiscal audit processes and corporate tax returns in the US for global financials (consolidated basis) and local audits where required (currently Tanzania and Zambia)
- Manage organizational level cash flow planning, bank relationships and ensure availability of funds (including managing line of credit and other sources of cash while maximizing safe earning potential of liquid assets)
- Oversee all financial management / reporting systems ensuring accurate and high quality financial data for use for decision making at many levels
- Ensure accurate preparation and issuance of internal and external financial reports and audits including review and assessment of current accounting system (Quickbooks) and implementation of appropriate changes
- Coordinate annual budget process and work with Director of Financial Planning and Analysis and senior leadership to develop and monitor budget/s for organization including regular and ad-hoc analysis to maximize cost recovery and mission achievement aligned with organizational strategy
- Keep global directors and senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Manage and oversee accounting processes, including bookkeeping, payroll management, invoicing, and financial tracking of restricted and unrestricted resources
- In partnership with global directors and Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, lead the development of D-tree’s annual and rolling 3-year business plans and monitor progress against those plans on a regular basis
- With Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, conduct financial analyses and forecast scenarios to maximize financial health of the organization regarding accounting treatment for income and expenditures
- Oversee development and implementation of procurement policies and guidelines
- Participate and develop guidance on best practices for new business development opportunities, specifically ensuring cost recovery is maximized for organization
Legal / Administrative (30%)
- Lead organizational risk management
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding financial and operational functions in US, including state registrations and countries of operation where D-tree is registered
- Oversee technical, legal, financial, and administrative components of grants management for the organization, including compliance for a diverse donor portfolio
- Oversee the proper preparation and execution of contracts, subcontracts, grants and other awards
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, including business and board insurance; working with legal advisors on memorandums of understanding, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements
- Work closely with human resources department on the financial aspects of people management (attraction, retention, motivation)
Who you are & Qualifications
We are seeking a full time, motivated finance leader who brings a blend of tactical and strategic problem solving. You are someone who has demonstrated success leading in a multi-country organization with diverse funding sources and is well poised to help D-tree improve our financial processes, identify new financial models and cost structures, and build infrastructure to maintain and set the organization up for continued growth in a global and increasingly complex operating environment.
You think strategically and are excellent at getting into the weeds and solving problems. You do not shy away from doing all levels of accounting work and will actively work on financial models and cost structures to improve D-tree’s financial health. You are comfortable working with and coaching a team with various levels of accounting experience in different time zones and multicultural settings. You are also comfortable working on a largely remote basis while keeping your colleagues up to date on relevant and timely information. You are an excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing.
Specific qualifications you must have to be considered for this role include:
- 10 – 12 years of comprehensive finance experience, including 5+ years of senior management experience which includes responsibility for financial management and people management
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on financial management or related fields or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience working with or leading finance and accounting departments, with fund accounting experience in a non-profit organization including process improvement methodologies to streamline workflows, optimize resource allocations and improve efficiency and controls
- Proficiency with accounting software required; experience migrating accounting software preferred (D-tree currently uses Quickbooks)
- Deep knowledge of Excel
- History working with multi-functional leadership team on global strategic issues
- Experience with non-profit financial management with diverse funding sources, including USG (USAID, CDC etc) and foundations
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, and ability to work independently in a small, dynamic, and primarily remote team across time zones and cultures.
The salary range for this role is $100,000 – $130,000 annually inclusive of all cash compensation. Salary scales are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting ranges for each role. To ensure internal parity, D-tree will analyze the candidate’s overall number of years of experience as well as relevant technical expertise pertaining to the position and in comparison with staff in the same job group to make the offer salary. Because salary ranges are small and the internal parity review is thorough, offers are firm.
How to apply
To apply for this role please click the “apply now” link and follow the instructions. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
D-tree is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is open to candidates legally authorized to work in the USA.