Reports to: Malawi Country Director and Director of Financial Planning & Analysis
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date: As soon as possible
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
We are currently a technology partner for Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation Malawi under a USAID funded Client-Oriented Response for HIV Epidemic Control (CORE) program. Our role is to develop, implement and support digital innovations to support Baylor’s internal operations for the program, with an overall objective of improving patient outcomes.
Who you are
We are seeking a Finance and Administrative Officer, based in Lilongwe, Malawi to manage all aspects of the country office’s accounting and financial systems to ensure adherence to D-tree policies and procedures, including proper controls are in place, facilitating smooth operational and financial processes for D-tree’s Malawi programs, and enabling accurate and timely reporting to a range of senior internal staff as well as external stakeholders and funders of D-tree International. You will work closely with department leads and the global support team to lead the management of D-tree International Malawi’s financial, accounting, HR and administrative tasks. You will lead efforts to revamp and enhance policies, procedures, guidelines and practices to ensure proper stewardship of donor assets.
What you will do
Specific responsibilities include:
Accounting and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Oversee and manage daily Malawi accounting and financial functions including: timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payables, receivables, month end and quarter end closing
- Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements for Malawi
- Maintain physical and electronic inventory in Malawi
- Ensure statutory filings for Malawi are done on time and with accuracy
- Coordinate financial matters with global support, including month end, quarter end and year end closings
- Assist global support finance team with annual audit preparation schedules (for the organization’s consolidated audit in the US)
- Support accurate and timely follow up through clear and well documented tracking mechanisms for accounting aspects such as: employee advance retirements, VAT reimbursements, vehicle use expenses and allocations and stipend and training payments through mobile money
- Perform monthly general ledger accounting reconciliations and analysis ensuring accuracy of ledger and month end reporting in accordance accounting best practices
- Coordinate general office operations: supply and equipment purchasing, office maintenance and tracking existing or new vendor agreements and /or leases as appropriate for operations
- Electronic and physical file management (HR, Accounting, Inventory, Consultant Contracts, Lease/Vendor Agreements)
Grant and Program Support:
- Work closely with grant and finance colleagues as well as program managers on program budget vs actual tracking for active projects in Malawi and globally
- Contribute to budget preparation for new business development in Malawi
- Support partner and donor pre-award financial reviews and post-award financial verifications as well as financial reporting requirements for partners and donors
- Work with global support team to review and improve partner financial and administrative functions and policies to align with best practices
- Other tasks as assigned to ensure professional and smooth financial operations of D-tree globally
- Ensure adherence to D-tree financial and human resource policies and procedures as well as local employment laws
- Malawi payroll management (including preparation and submission as well as oversight for tax and social security administration)
- Assist with coordination of recruitment activities for Malawi and Tanzania as necessary
The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- At least 3 years of financial management experience with global organization/s in a mid-level position
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (accounting, business management, public administration or related field)
- Strong Quickbooks and/or other accounting software knowledge and experience
- Experience in a project-based non-profit sector that requires financial tracking and reporting for separate donors across multiple funding sources (USG, multilateral, private foundation)
- Exposure to and in depth understanding of institutional donors’ rules and regulations in relation to program funding mechanisms, procurement, compliance, and reporting
- Experience managing and supervising staff
- CPA /ACCA qualification or equivalent a plus
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office – including Word and Excel.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
13,603,200 MWK to 20,928,000 MWK gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation.
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please fill in the google form here. Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter will be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
This position is open to Malawian nationals only.