Reports to: Director of Partnerships
Location: Remote in the US (must be located in one of the following states: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Washington D.C., Maryland or Virginia)
Travel: Up to 20%
Who we are
D-tree is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
D-tree has grown considerably in the past 3 years with funding from bilateral donors such as USAID, multilateral organizations such as UNICEF, and private foundations such as Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Fondation Botnar, and Conrad N. Hilton Foundation. We have an excellent track record and strong reputation as one of the original pioneers in digital health, with active programs in Zanzibar, Tanzania, Malawi, and Zambia. Our work involves extensive collaboration with governments, donors, local and international health implementers to improve the lives of the people we serve. Evaluations of D-tree’s programs have demonstrated significant health system impacts from D-tree’s digital programs–including reductions in maternal mortality, increase in facility delivery rates and follow up, and improved health worker performance.
Our values are the driving motivators for how the D-tree team works day in, day out, shared by all team members. They include:
- We think big because we have faith in our ability to succeed.
- We are excellent stewards of time, resources, and money.
- We value balance between work and life.
- We keep the people we work for and with at the center of everything we do.
- We respectfully challenge the status quo as we are always in search of a better way.
- We continuously learn and adapt to become the best version of ourselves.
- We believe that our strength lies in our diversity and how we perform as a team.
- We go above and beyond because people’s health and lives are at stake.
About the Role
We seek a values-aligned Development Manager (DM) to join D-tree as the second fully dedicated fundraising hire at D-tree to significantly contribute to both the financial stability of the organization and the professionalization of D-tree’s development operations. Reporting to D-tree’s Director of Partnerships, the DM will help maximize D-tree’s fundraising effectiveness by strengthening development operations; identifying new funders and funding opportunities through extensive prospect research; draft compelling narratives (capability statements, pitch decks, concept notes, proposals) to attract and retain new partners; and collaborate with a global and multi-disciplinary team to deliver excellence throughout the full grant acquisition lifecycle—from prospect identification, to qualifying opportunities, developing proposals and closing new funding awards and contracts.
What you will do
The DM will work closely with senior leadership, including the Director of Partnerships, program and country leads, and finance and operations staff to execute D-tree’s fundraising strategy, engage donors and prospects, and craft compelling proposals with a particular focus on engaging private foundations and the philanthropy sector. The DM will support the Director of Partnerships to help set and meet ambitious annual targets for new revenue, while simultaneously contributing to build a robust and long-term pipeline of foundation funders to support D-tree in future years. Core responsibilities include:
Development of operations and process improvement (20%)
- Support the Director of Partnerships to formalize processes for pipeline reporting, partnership acquisition, knowledge management and grant development.
- Help promote a culture of empowerment for partnerships and business development within the organization, and support streamlined communications and coordination among a growing number of organizational staff who are becoming involved in business development and fundraising efforts.
Prospect identification and management (30%)
- Perform research to identify and vet prospective donors and partners interested in D-tree’s approach, and conduct outreach, develop pitches and lead meetings to secure interest.
- Working with the Director of Partnerships and Global Team, fully “own” a select number of active opportunities and cultivate these through the pipeline into advanced stages and revenue conversion.
- Track donor and prospect contact information, background information, strategies and goals, communication and engagement in the CRM and help the Director of Partnerships and Global Team stay abreast of deadlines and key partnership milestones.
Pre-Award Grant management and stewardship (40%)
- Support Country Directors and other members of the Senior Leadership Team in facilitating the grant development process, serving as the central coordinator for larger proposals and managing communication, contributing to writing, and ensuring a high-quality final product.
- Support/lead the development of compelling collateral (concepts, capability statements, briefers, impact stories) requested by foundation and philanthropic prospects to successfully position D-tree for potential partnership.
Partnership support and external engagement (10%)
- Respond to various requests for inquiry from potential donors and partners as appropriate, looping in the appropriate teams and ensuring timely, high-quality response.
- Represent D-tree externally within global health community, engaging regularly with contacts of prospective and current funders to develop new partnerships and steward existing ones.
- Work with internal teams (i.e., communications) to develop visibility/communications activities to promote new and existing partnerships and share with the field.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time, motivated development professional who brings a blend of tactical and strategic problem solving. You are someone who has demonstrated success leading the entire partnership lifecycle and managing colleagues through the process; but is also interested in helping D-tree improve our processes, identify new business models and partners, and eventually uncover new markets and opportunities for growth in the increasingly crowded field of global digital health. Some specific qualifications you must have to be considered for this role include:
- A bachelor’s degree in global health, international development, or related field.
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in fundraising and program development with a mission-driven NGO, with a demonstrated track record of success in forming new partnerships and converting these partnerships into new contracts and revenue.
- Knowledge of and experience across full grant development life cycle and demonstrated ability to lead internal teams and external partners successfully through the process.
- Knowledge of the donor landscape, with a particular focus on private foundations and philanthropic organizations supporting global health preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of CRM management and reporting.
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, and ability to work independently in a small, dynamic, and primarily remote team across time zones and cultures.
The salary range for this role is $75-90K annually inclusive of all cash compensation. Salary scales are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting ranges for each role. To ensure internal parity, D-tree will analyze the candidate’s overall number of years of experience as well as relevant technical expertise pertaining to the position and in comparison with staff in the same job group to make the offer salary. Because salary ranges are small and the internal parity review is thorough, offers are firm.
How to apply
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
To apply for this position, please fill in this form here:
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
D-tree is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is open to candidates legally authorized to work in the USA